Match Report: Carloway 0 – 2 Point

At Cnoc a’ Choilich, Carloway.

Friday, 22nd April, 2019, 18.30.

Carloway went out of the Acres Boys Club Cup at the quarter final stage as league champions Point left Cnoc a’ Choilich victorious after two early goals sealed their victory. Carloway will feel both goals could have been avoided but both finishes were clinical and, if Point had been as sharp in the second half, then the final margin could have been greater.

The Carloway line-up showed four changes to the team who beat Harris on Friday night. In addition to Gordon Craigie swopping places with Davie Beaton, Joe Armstrong and Andy “Bernera” Morrison replaced the injured Euan Shirkie (hamstring) and Kevin “Barra” MacNeil (broken thumb) and Neil Sinclair returned for the rested Dan Crossley.

Point started the game quickly and the home team found themselves under pressure early on. A sustained period of pressure around the Carloway goal ended with Angus Macdonald flicking the ball past Craigie for Point’s opener in the seventh minute after a through ball from Stewart Munro (0-1).

Things got worse five minutes later when Joe Armstrong got caught in possession by Point’s Martin Macdonald. The young winger squared the ball quickly to Angus Macdonald who fired home sharply with his left foot for his and the Rudhach’s second (0-2).

Carloway were stunned and had to work hard to stay in the game. Billy Anderson had the subs warming up but was forced into a change on the half hour when Stuart “Bubble” Macdonald limped off with a recurrence of his hamstring injury. He was replaced by Duncan Shirkie and the team seemed to get an immediate lift with Neil Sinclair firing narrowly past from the edge of the box. Point’s young wingers continued to be a threat however and Cammy Nicolson broke through on the left in the forty-first minute but fired over. Half-time and a time to regroup.

Billy Anderson shuffled his pack at half-time in order to counter Point’s attacking threat with skipper Domhnall Mackay moving back to central defence and Callum “Beag” Mackay moving wide right.

The second half started with a bizarre incident which confused everyone and ended up with Craigie’s second booking of the season. Murdo “Squegg” Macleod in possession in the left of midfield mishit his pass to Domhnall Mackay who let it run behind him to the goalie who promptly picked it up. Referee Andrew Macaulay deemed it an intentional pass back, the yellow card was shown, and Point had an indirect free-kick inside the Carloway box. Angus Macdonald sportingly whacked the free-kick off the Carloway wall.

Point started to find some space in the midfield with Mikey Jones prominent and the young playmaker fired narrowly over after breaking through the centre in the fifty-fifth minute. Gaps started to open up as Carloway pushed forward, and Point missed three great chances to increase their lead. Martin Macdonald mis-hit his shot when faced with an open goal allowing Joe Armstrong to clear off the line, Angus Macdonald fired over from a similar distance having been set up by Stewart Munro before having another effort saved by Craigie.

Albert Calsina Latorre came on for Andy Morrison as Billy looked to get a foothold in midfield and both Domhnall Mackay and Murdo “Squegg” got booked as frustrations grew. Carloway were still in the game with ten minutes remaining but their long balls were well dealt with by what was a strong Point defence. Ali Gillies and Iain “Macca” Mackenzie were unbeatable in the air and young Josh Smith, son of former Carloway Eilean Fhraoich player George Smith, looked a class act. Fraser Macleod managed to get on the end of a couple of half chances in the last five minutes but couldn’t get either on target.

So, Point go through to the semi-finals with a deserved victory, and Carloway thoughts move on to Friday. Lochs at home in the Highland Amateur Cup is always one to look forward to.

Carloway Man of the Match: Cameron “Tiger” Macarthur

Point Man of the Match: Mikey Jones.


CARLOWAY: 3-5-2.


Gordon Craigie

Cameron “Tiger” Macarthur Donald “D.I.” Maclennan Joe Armstrong

Andy “Bernera” Morrison Callum “Beag” Mackay Domhnall Mackay (capt.)  Murdo “Squegg” Macleod Stuart “Bubble” Macdonald

Fraser “Fraz” Macleod Neil Sinclair


Subs. used: Duncan Shirkie (Stuart “Bubble” Macdonald) 32; Albert Calsina Latorre (Andy “Bernera” Morrison) 79; Chris “Christy” Smith (Callum “Beag” Mackay) 87.

Subs. not used: Uisdean Reid; David Beaton.

Yellow cards: Gordon Craigie 50; Domhnall Mackay 76; Murdo “Squegg” Macleod 79.

Manager: Billy Anderson.

Asst. Manager: Iain Angus “Gus” Maciver.


Point: 4-4-2.



Stewart Munro   Angus Macdonald 

Cammy Nicolson   Mikey Jones   Andrew Murray   Martin Macdonald

Iain “Macca” Mackenzie   Josh Smith   Ali Gillies (capt.)   Scott Campbell

        Daniel Macdonald


Subs. used: Stuart MacPhee (Cammy Nicolson) 70.

Subs. not used: Nathan Murray; John A Morrison; Donald “Rab” Maciver.

Yellow cards: Angus Macdonald 38; Iain “Macca” Mackenzie 83.

Manager: Angus “Stoodie” Mackay

Asst. Manager: Donald “Rab” Maciver.